Home >> Vision Articles >> Maintain Healthy Vision as You Age - Vision Supplements & Vitamins
Maintain Healthy Vision as You Age - Vision Supplements & Vitamins
Posted Jan, 2013 by Aliveplusvision
Are you doing all you can to ensure your vision is as good as it can be? We often think of eyesight as being something we have little control over - you either have good vision or poor vision and that's that.
Whilst there are many conditions that can effect vision quality, there are also a number of things we can do at home that will have a positive impact. With a little bit of work we can protect ourselves from degenerative diseases like macular degeneration and cataracts.
Diet and Supplements for Good Vision
As with other areas of health, a balanced diet with attention to the following items will be of benefit:
- Lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Include lean meats, poultry, fish as well as other protein sources like beans, eggs and nuts
- Avoid saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol and sugar as much as possible
If you are like many people and the above diet isn't exactly your day to day routine, it would be a good idea to take a vision supplement. These are designed to make sure you get all the nutrients that are required for good eyesight.
So, what supplements will help your vision?
Studies have shown that a combination of high levels of antioxidant vitamins A, C and E (in combination with the mineral zinc) significantly reduce the risk of advanced macular degeneration and associated vision loss. Here are some of the key things a good supplement may inlcude:
- Vitamin A and beta-carotene - necessary for night vision
- Vitamin B complex - the B complex vitamins may help prevent high homocysteine levels developing in the blood. These are associated with vascular problems that affect the retina.
- Vitamin C - may reduce the risk of cataracts
- Vitamin D - may reduce the the risk of macular degeneration
- Vitamin E - may also be associated with prevention of cataracts Phytochemical Antioxidants - these can be found in extracts from plants such as Bilberry and Gingko Biloba. They offer antioxidant protection and vascular support.
- Omega 3 - fatty acids - help avoid dry eyes
Clinicians Vision Care Forte
A nutrient combination of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants formulated to support eye function, in particular, the function of the macula during the aging process. The macula is the central portion of the retina that is responsible for transforming light entering the eye into electrical neural impulses. The macula mediates central vision as well as the ability to see colour and fine detail.
Comvita Bilberry Caps
Comvita Bilberry Caps provides support to normal vision and eye health. During World War II fighter pilots reported improved eyesight after eating bilberry jam. This has sparked studies into the beneficial eye effects of this small purple berry. Scientific studies now back-up its ability to support visual clarity and retinal function. Aging and free radical damage can contribute to certain degenerative conditions of the eye. Bilberry anthocyanidins will provide your eyes with antioxidant protection and vascular support.
Good Health Premium Vision Eyecare
This has been formulated to manage all aspects of natural care for your eyes. Premium Vision Eyecare includes important antioxidants, herbal extracts, vitamins and minerals to support eye health. Vitamins C, E, betacarotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and bioflavonoids all provide specific eye benefits, and the minerals chromium, selenium and zinc are important for healthy eye function and prevention of damage. The herbal extracts Bilberry, Ginkgo, and Eyebright provide natural support against age-related eye problems and eyestrain.
NFS Eye Manager
A high potency formula consisting of Bilberry, Eyebright and supporting antioxidants to further enhance and maintain normal eyesight and assist in all aspects of eye health.